There are a million reasons I believe we should be getting our hair and makeup done professionally at least 4 times a year but New Years Eve is especially important. The truth is that it has much less to do with they way you look and a lot to do with the way you feel. How you feel on New Years Eve really sets the tone for the entire year. My personal advice would be DO SOMETHING. Anything really. Even if your plan is to stay home and put your kids to bed on time, try to make it special. Maybe a New Years bed time book, a new tradition with your kids or a home date with your partner after the kids are down for the night. Maybe you need to make more time for yourself and a little alone time is just the ticket… All of these options are more than viable and can catapult you into a succesful and happy year ahead.
If you are going out I would like to suggest a New Years Eve pampering sess. Hair, Makeup, Nails WHATEVER makes YOU feel good. New Years Eve should be about self-care. There are a hundred holidays for everybody else. Hell. Even on your birthday there is usually friends and family who want to celebrate your life with you. New Years Eve though, is an unclaimed holiday. Take it for yourselves!
With that in mind here are 5 reasons why you should get your hair and makeup professionally done if you are going out on New Years Eve.
- New Year Beautiful You. It’s important to feel like the most beautiful version of ourselves every once in a while. While we can get busy with life, kids, commuting, careers, hobbies, friends and families it is really important to just feel good about YOUrself. Let a professional help. They know what they are doing. If you have a regular hairstylist you already trust then start there. They know your style and what you think is beautiful. Let them make your inner beauty shine out and start the year off right.
- You can often use your shampoo / blow out as an opportunity to learn something. Ask your stylist for some tips on how to recreate the look yourself. Whenever you take the time to put some effort into your appearance you give the impression to the world that you give a sh#@. Sometimes that can prove invaluable. When you are trying to advance in your career or teach your kids about self-care and hygiene for example. I know it is easier to roll out of bed and let your hair air dry and trust me I do myself at least 95% of the time but this year I’m thinking I can try to take care of me a little bit more. That starts with giving myself the sleep I need to get up early enough to take care of my body.
- The salon is a really valuable networking tool. It might not pop into your head as the first place you would go to meet people but I can’t tell you have many bonds have been forged in a hair salon. You would be surprised who you can come across by spending a couple of hours at the salon. Are you in real estate? Somebody the next chair over might be desperate to sell their house and looking FOR YOU! Need family photos taken? Your hairstylist or Makeup Artist knows everybody. Strike up simple, friendly conversations with kindred spirits and let that carry you right into the New Year.
- Good Energy. If you love your local salon then that place should be full of good energy which is the best place to be when you are getting ready to ring in a New Year. Good conversations, good vibes, great hair, beautiful makeup and a PERFECT New Year. Let it all rub off on you and then carry that to your party or date and revel in all that is good as you celebrate your way through New Years Eve.
- Relaxation. The salon experience can be as relaxing as it is fun. There is nothing better than entering one of your favorite places and feeling completely relaxed and at home. Let your stylist take you into their hands while you sit back and enjoy the company while you relax it out. Emerge beautiful, bright and totally chill. So ready to take on another year.
My last piece of advice is to choose a stylist that you trust. It might not be the night to use that Groupon you bought on a whim for a really cheap haircut. If your going to get the most out of the experience you have to feel comfortable enough to let your stylist take care of you. A really good stylist should be doing an in-depth consultation the first time they see you. If you’re visiting someone new on NYE just take your time talking with them before hand and get comfortable with their plans for your look.
Other than that have fun, party hard, enjoy your life and Happy New Year!